Wow, I am really enjoying connecting with the wonderful community of bloggers. I’m thrilled to receive my first award, the Liebster Award from Vida the creator of GoodGraciousness. Check out her blog, it is truly inspiring!
The award translates to mean “Beloved” in German and is given out to new bloggers with less than 200 followers. This is a very cool way to get to know my fellow bloggers and pay forward even more connections and goodness. So here we go!
Here are the answers to the 10 questions posed to me as part of this award 🙂
1. Why did you start your blog? Accountability to live more intentionally and more focused. I’m just over a week in and guess what, it’s working!
2. What is your favorite hobby or activity – one that really makes you feel happy and peaceful? Last year I picked up tennis after a 13 year absence. I loved playing regularly again and as soon as the courts dry (and on an upcoming weekend away to Palm Springs) I will be back at it. A big part of the renewed love of the game involved taking lessons. What I loved about taking lessons was learning to take feedback and immediately put it into practice. You make mistakes but there is another ball coming in a few seconds and you can try again. I work in a job where we constantly give each other feedback and the lessons have helped me get better at giving and receiving. Another fun thing about playing is that my husband and I are basically the same level of player. We played constantly (and competitively) before we got married as I had courts at my condo. Once we bought a house, we stopped. We’ve had fun competing with each other again. We have more aches and pains post-game then we used to but it’s still very fun!
3. What is your favorite book? I like to both read and listen to books. A recent favorite that I have listened to no less than 20 times is Andre Agassi’s “Open.” It got me to pick up my racket again. What I loved about the book was the rawness of his personal struggles. Tennis is so mental. I can relate to that in my work, which is very intense and stressful. My meetings aren’t the French Open, but there are many similarities. Anywho… this book really hooked me. Check it out.
4. Tell us something about you not many people know. I work very hard at being positive and encouraging on the outside. On the inside, I battle a very harsh critic. I’m working on it.
5. What was the most magical day of your life, and why? It may sound cliché but I’d have to say the day my son was born. We had a scheduled C-section so the day was pretty fun and exciting versus painful. We listened to Creed’s “Arms Wide Open” in the car on the way to the hospital and cried tears of joy. That will forever be our baby boy song. I have brown hair and brown eyes and my husband is a blue-eyed blonde. I just assumed (like I learned in school) my genes would dominate and I’d have a dark haired baby but they took out this little guy with blue eyes and white tufts on his head. The surgery was a breeze and the drugs afterward really did the trick. So easy!
6. Do you believe in love at first sight? Why or why not? I may be Cupid’s biggest party pooper but no. I believe in chemistry at first sight but not the real deal. Why? The important parts of a person are their character, values and how that all unfolds in actions. No way you can see that in a single glance. Don’t get me wrong, attraction is important, too and can be the catalyst to learning about what’s inside, but no way is it the only thing.
7. What is your favorite childhood memory? I was a very good student and always did well at school. As a result, my mom didn’t have any heartburn letting me take a day off once or twice a year and we’d just go shopping. Seems like sacrilege in retrospect knowing all the homework kids have these days and how meticulously attendance is tracked. We’d go to lunch and go to the mall. It was our special time and there was no guilt.
8. Describe yourself in three words. Hardworking, Capable and Caring. (my 4th word would be tired 🙂 )
9. If you could spend a day with one person, living, or dead, who would it be and why? My immediate thought is my older brother who died almost 4 years ago of cancer. He has come to me in a dream (someday I’ll write a blog about that) and told me he is with Jesus. So if I could spend a day with my big bro, I would not only see him, I’d get to learn about heaven and Jesus, so kind of a two-fer. It is hard to even imagine just 1 day though and saying goodbye again. I hope that doesn’t make me sound negative. We’d watch several really funny movies back-to-back and eat red vines. I would have to share him with all our family and friends who also miss him and would love to spend another day hearing him laugh. Note: this is exactly how we spent one of his last days. We watched “It’s Complicated” and laughed hysterically. If I ever meet Meryl Streep or Alec Baldwin I would thank them and tell them how they had a positive impact and created a treasured memory during a very tough time.
10. Who is the one person who can always make you smile? My 12 year old son. He is a riot. He is an instant reminder about what is important. He is getting to that stage where he isn’t my little baby anymore and doesn’t want to just hang out unless there is XBOX involved, but the young man he is growing up to be impresses me to no end. He has a big heart and he has mine, too.
For my nominees – if you decide to accept, here are the rules:
1. Thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog.
2. You must answer the 10 questions given to you by the nominee before you.
3. You must nominate 10 of your favorite blogs with fewer than 200 followers and notify them of their nomination.
4. You must come up with 10 questions for your nominees to answer.
Here are 10 great blogs that I’m nominating (in no particular order):
- Never Perfect Always Perfecting
- Eyes Like Glass
- Beautiful Industry
- Musing Mellifluously!
- Mrs. Holpepper: Bookworm
- l’avocat mode
- The Ellieverse
- Complexity Through Joy
- Silver Linings Project
My questions for these wonderful folks:
- Why did you start your blog?
- What is your favorite thing about having a blog?
- What do you do for fun?
- What is your favorite book?
- What is your favorite movie?
- If you had really good news to share who would you call first?
- On your 85th birthday what do you hope your loved ones are saying about you as they celebrate your life so far?
- Thinking back to the last time you laughed so hard you couldn’t breathe, what was so funny?
- Thinking back to the last time you cried, what moved you?
- What is one of your favorite quotes?